The Utah Academy of Family Physicians originated as the Utah State Society of Physicians and Surgeons in General Practice, and was founded on August 29, 1946 by Dr. L.E. Robinson of Salt Lake. The original Executive Committee consisted of Dr. Robinson as President and Dr. Chas W. Woodruff as Vice President. Annual dues were $15.00 and the total membership consisted of 22 physicians.
In January 1948, at the direction of the Board of Directors, the members debated and voted, 22 – 2, to become the Utah Chapter of the American Academy of General Practice. On April 1, 1948, the name of the organization was changed to the American Academy of General Practice of Utah. Today, the Utah Academy of Family Physicians has over 800 members across the state and continues to work closely with American Academy of Family Physicians toward our common mission.