Challenging Race-Based Medicine in Practice
Register yourself, your practice, or residency group today for the Ohio Academy of Family Physicians (OAFP) live webinar Challenging Race-Based Medicine in Practice!
Set for Thursday, April 22, at 6 p.m MDT., this webinar will help learners understand the origins of race-based medicine, the implications of conflating race with genetic ancestry, identify the racist underpinnings of many commonly practiced treatment plans and diagnosed diseases, and set a plan for meaningful change that will help advance true health equity.
The webinar will feature a 60-minute presentation from Senior Vice President of Equity and Community Health of Massachusetts General Hospital Joseph Betancourt, MD, MPH, followed by a 30-minute Q&A moderated by OAFP member Roma Amin, MD. This live webinar offers resources for those beginning to learn about race-based medicine, as well as more advanced learners looking for next steps.
At the conclusion of the program, participants will:
- Understand the origins and effects of how racism has shaped scientific advancements, tools, and diagnoses of commonly held medical guidelines practiced today
- Know the importance of adopting and following the same standards and guidelines for diagnosis and treatment of all patients regardless of race
- Learn how physicians and interdisciplinary teams can combat racism in practice
- Identify areas for future awareness and develop a plan for action and change in practice.
- OAFP members: $75
- Non-Ohio AAFP members: $100
- Non-Members: $150
- Residents & Students: $25
Groups of 10 or more can receive a 20% discount off their total registration cost. Please contact Caitlin Laudeman to process a group registration.
Continuing Medical Education
This activity has been reviewed and is acceptable for up to 1.5 Live Prescribed credits by the American Academy of Family Physicians.
For more information about the program, please contact Director of Education Erin Jech or call 800.742.7327.
For questions regarding registration, please contact Coordinator of Events & Foundation Programs Caitlin Laudeman or call 800.742.7327.