The Utah Family Physician of the Year – 2016
- The Family Physician of the Year Award recognizes a physician who provides her/her patient with compassionate, comprehensive and caring family medicine on continuing basis.
- Is directly and effectively involved in community affairs and activities that enhance the quality of his/her community
- Provides a credible role model, both professionally and personally, to his/her community, to other health professionals, and to residents and medical students
- Can effectively represent UAFP and the specialty of Family Medicine by presenting a good public image
- Exemplifies the family physician’s leadership role in improving the health of our state
- Has 5 years post-residency (or equivalent) experience
- Is a member of the UAFP and AAFP
- Is currently in practice
- Spends at least 50% of his/her time in direct patient care
- Be board certified in family medicine and/or an AAFP fellow
Many congratulations to our 2015 Family Medicine Physician of the Year:
Dr. Osman Sanyer
His nomination form had this to say:
Dr Sanyer has been a faculty member at the University of Utah for over 20 years, and was at the Community Health Centers before that. During this time, he has inspired many Family Physicians who have trained under him. But more importantly, he has inspired and supported countless patients. His patients adore him and are willing to wait oftentimes weeks to get in to see him. When a resident or one of his partners sees a patient in his absence, there is always a positive discussion of him brought up by his patients, with the provider having to promise to say hello. His patients feel this way about him not only because of his medical prowess, but more so because of his calming, trusting nature, and the ease of creating a positive relationship with him. He has been referred to as the “people whisperer”, because of how well he gets along with others and imbues confidence, putting everyone at ease and diffusing conflict.
He is well loved by his patients, colleagues, and those who have trained under him. He epitomizes the principles that make Family Medicine the central part of a well-functioning health care system, and has done so throughout his entire career. I have had the pleasure of training under him and now being counted as his colleague, and I nominate him enthusiastically for Utah’s Family Physician of the Year 2015.